Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Targeted Exploring

Oct. 14

 
Let me tell you something. It doesn't matter how long you are in Venice, you will get lost, constantly. Even if you have done the route a number of times. It doesn't matter. I know, whether they admit it or not, even the locals get lost on a fairly frequent basis. But the beauty of technology, is that if you connect to wifi and open google maps, when you leave wifi, it will continue to track where you are. The most helpful thing. The signs of major places are also helpful. Know what major place you live by, it will save you.
 
 
Today I went exploring. But I had a destination I wanted to get to at some point, but a lot of time. I found a park. Which is amazing in Venice, seeing as there is next to no plant life. No flowers, grass, trees, nothing. So to see a park with actual plants was amazing.
 

If you are looking for a park while in Venice, some of the right hand side of the island has been made into a park. Once the park starts, it goes all the way to the end of the island.

As I continued my adventures, I came upon a huge military base.


 

After exploring for a while I got to my destination, Doge's Palace. Also known as Palazzo Ducale.


The Palace was absolutely gorgeous! There were incredible statues.

 
 
Amazing paintings...
 
 
The ceilings were breathtaking.
 
 



Once through the Palace you go over the Bridge of Sighs.

The Bridge of Sighs from the outside.
 
The Bridge of Sighs, is the bridge that leads from the Palace to the jail. It's called the Bridge of Sighs, because the prisoners crossing would get their last glimpse of the outside world, and sigh.
 
Bridge of Sighs from the inside                                                      Last view prisoners would see                        
  
After crossing the Bridge of Signs, it's time to check out the (no longer used) prison.




Pretty crappy place to be if you ask me. But then again it is jail, and it was the 1800's.

After my exciting adventures in the Palace, it was time to meet up with everyone, and go to our next destination. If you remember back to a couple days ago when I talked about St. Mark's Campanile, aka the Bell Tower. I went up in said bell tower, using an elevator, because no one wants that many stairs. The view from the top did not disappoint. It was spectacular.

View from the bell tower


View of St. Mark's Square from the tower

We went at a great time, as the sun was starting to set, so we got to see the sun setting.


 
 
Unfortunately for, well most people. The bell goes off every 1/2 hour. Chances are you are going to be up there for about a little while, so there is a high likelihood the bell will go off while you are there. It did for us. It is very very loud!
 
Tomorrow we are off on another adventure! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment